Thursday, December 8, 2011

Semester's End - December 2011

Tomorrow, we will hold Commencement here at Panola College, with 149 students walking across the stage. Their families will hoot and holler and celebrate this well-deserved accomplishment. Some of these graduates have worked two or three jobs while going to school. Others have juggled the responsibilities of job and family along with college courses. Some have struggled with long-term disabilities. Many pay their way through school with scholarships earned for their musical, fine arts or athletic talents. Non-traditional students have sat through classes with fellow students young enough to be their children. With all those differences, these people share the same goal -- they want to get a good education to better their lives. I remember the struggles -- emotional and financial -- that I experienced earning my bachelor's and then my master's degree. As a faculty member at Panola College, I am proud to have known these fine people. I will miss them when they go on in the spring to new jobs or to universities. Seeing their determination gives me hope for the future of this country. Congratulations, graduates!

No comments: