Sunday, December 25, 2011

Warhorse and Other Animal Movies

Mike wants to see the new Steven Spielberg movie "Warhorse." He will have to find someone else to go with him.
In my heart I know that Joey, the horse, will die at the end of the movie. I even Googled "Does the horse die in Warhorse?" Nearly all movies featuring animals have plots that involve the animal being injured, lost, abused or killed. Eighteen years ago, I sat down and cried in a Target store in Houston because all the TVs in the electronics department were tuned to "Homeward Bound." The movie was at the point where the old Golden Retriever limps over the hill for the joyous reunion with his boy. A happy scene, right? So, why was I crying? Blame it on my hormones -- I was nine months pregnant with Clint at the time. But for me, it's more than hormones.
I have always had a soft spot for animals, especially dogs. I've never seen "Where the Red Fern Grows." I watched "The Yearling" just once, and I've regretted it ever since. As a little girl, I had to turn off the TV when the Lassie show ended because the music was so sad when Lassie sat there, staring into the camera, and lifted her paw to say goodbye.
Why is it easier for me to watch movies where people are killed than to see an animal die on film? Mike says we've become conditioned to seeing people die in movies. I don't really have a good answer, except that most animals who die in movies usually are placed in jeopardy by humans. They are at our mercy, and so many times we let them down. I know "Warhorse" is a great film -- I've read the reviews -- but I can't go see it. I think I'll go in the "Sherlock Holmes" theater instead.

No comments: