Saturday, December 29, 2012

Moms Worry


When we're pregnant, we worry. When they're babies, we worry. When they're toddlers, we cushion hard corners and install gates on stairs...because we're worried. When they start to school, we worry about friends and teachers and whether they're really ready for kindergarten. We're really worried because we're not ready to let them go. When they make the team or join the club or the choir, we worry that they will get hurt -- physically or emotionally. When they're in high school, we worry about grades, friends, colleges and the future. When they start driving, we worry about bad roads, bad decisions, bad weather, bad habits and, especially, texting. When they graduate, we really worry about college and the future and finding the money to make it all happen. When they get their degrees, we worry about decisions, opportunities, job offers and not getting job offers.
The common denominators are "love" and "worry." The old saying "let go and let God" comes to mind, but it's hard to put into practice, even for someone of faith. As the mother of two sons, I seek serenity about my boys and their future. It's all out of my control. I have done my best to set them on the right path, but I know from my own life experience that pathways sometimes have dead ends or roadblocks or detours that take more time than we expected. Sometimes we have to retrace our steps and start over. Sometimes the pathway is permanently blocked and we waste time waiting and wishing for a miracle. I wish for my sons to have strength of character, resilience without bitterness, hope and determination to live with purpose, to love with abandon and to not spend too much time worrying. I've done enough of that for them.

No comments: